1.13.2012

Pre-Fall Collections: Boxing Day Reinvisioned

 Giambattista Valli.
 Prabal Gurung.
 Stella McCartney.
Zero-Maria Cornejo. All photos courtesy http://www.vogue.com/.
Gone gone gone are the days of body-con, bandage dresses. No, this season designers are embracing a more masculine side of dressing. The go to shape this year (hint: hourglass is not the correct answer)? The box. Square shoulders, straight shirts. No waist line in sight. I am thus a huge fan of this pre-fall season. For the last year or so I've owned a "leather" shirt from H&M with a boxy shape, similar to the shirt by Prabal Gurung seen above. I've always been nervous to wear it, however, because without the proper accessories, it just looks like an oversized leather-bag-converted-into-an-awkward-shirt(?). But this is truly the season to bring it out! Pictures to come soon. I just need to figure out how to make it less, eh, dark. (Black leather? Less dark? It is a challenge I am willing to take!)
On a side note, am I the only one who finds it crazy that it is already pre-fall? Well, technically everything that occurs before fall is pre-fall, but Hello, it's only January! Yes, Easter decorations are already in stores (or is that just here? Should I hold this town to be the national standard? Hm. I should perhaps reconsider this statment.) Nevertheless, I am very proud of designers this year for, again, not falling trap to the idea that the only woman is a 36-24-36 ("She's a brick. House!" ). This years pre-falls shapes are perfect for skimming those extra holiday pounds, or those beautiful folds that those of us not participating in the world of haute couture modeling embrace. Can't wait for normal-fall (un-pre?). Until then, I'll be sporting my leather T with a smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment